wasted invested several hours in making this figure. I used the amazing “Common Taxonomy Tree” through GenBank to type in the genus of each predator. Then opened my new phylogeny in Mesquite (I have *never* used Mesquite before! or at least not since 3rd year) I popped in some extra polytomies for morphospecies of predators which are not identified to species (several are actually new to science!). I felt pretty self-satisfied
Then I got to spend several hours trying to get the thing into R! Turns out the trouble was branch lengths for my newly-added branches. I eventually succeeded with this “arbitrarily ultrametric” tree. It contains very little information — this is good, because we have very little information. In this ‘tree’, the distances are only supposed to rank species by their relatedness. So we see, for example, that Monopelopia and Bezzia are more closely related to each other than either is to Culex, which is satisfying. It also shows the leeches (Hirudinidae) as being very far from everything else — though not so far as they actually are, since the division between these groups goes VERY far back.
This might not be quite the right way to include taxonomic information in an analysis. But it IS approximately the one I was picturing in my head for weeks.