The Vancouver Evolution Group (aka VEG) is a collection of researchers from Simon Fraser University and the University of British Columbia who meet to discuss topics in evolutionary biology. All are welcome: undergraduates, graduates, post doctoral fellows, faculty, family, and friends.
Wednesday 7:00PM February 22nd, 2023
Sally & Mike's House 1812 Maple St
Reading: Bergeron et al. (2023)
"Evolution of the germline mutation rate
Something to snack on or drink, someone new to VEG.
Sneak peak (for the next VEG in April): Fuhrmann et al. (2023) "Polygenic adaptation from standing genetic variation allows rapid ecotype formation"
Members can post messages to the group by
sending e-mail to email@example.com
(warning: emails must be from the email registered on the listserv and PDFs cannot be sent).
Non-members should forward their message to firstname.lastname@example.org
request that it be posted.
the VEG e-mail list:
Send e-mail to email@example.com
from your own account with the word "subscribe" on the subject line,
without the quotation marks.
yourself from this
Send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
from your account with the word "unsubscribe" on the subject line,
without the quotation marks.
- Venkataram et al. (2022) "Mutualism-enhancing mutations dominate
early adaptation in a two-species microbial community" (February 2023)
- Exposito-Alonso et al. (2022) "Genetic diversity loss in the anthropocene" (October 2022)
- de Manuel et al. (2022) "A paternal bias in germline mutation is widespread in amniotes and can arise independently of cell division numbers" (September 2022)
- Shen et al. (2022) "Synonymous mutations in representative yeast genes are mostly strongly non-neutral" (August 2022)
- Morrill et al. (2022) "Ancestry-inclusive dog genomics challenges popular breed stereotypes" (May 2022)
- Dhanasekaran et al. (2022) "Human seasonal influenza under COVID-19 and the potential consequences of influenza lineage elimination" (April 2022)
- Frei et al. (2022) "Genomic variation from an extinct species is retained in the extant radiation following speciation reversal" (March 2022)
- Papkou et al. (2021) "Population size impacts host-pathogen coevolution" (February 2022)
- Winkler et al. (2021) "Stronger net selection on males across animals" (January 2022)
- Cheng and Kirkpatrick (2021) "Molecular evolution and the decline of purifying selection with age" (November 2021)
- Buffalo (2021) "Quantifying the relationship between genetic diversity and population size suggests natural selection cannot explain Lewontin's Paradox" (October 2021)
- Teixeira and Huber (2021) "The inflated significance of neutral genetic diversity in conservation genetics" and Kardos et al. (2021) "The crucial role of genome-wide genetic variation in conservation" (September 2021)
- Benton et al. (2021) "The influence of evolutionary history on human health and disease" (May 2021)
- Bozdag et al. (2021) "Breaking a Species Barrier by Enabling Hybrid Recombination" and Supplement (March 2021)
- Nosil et al. (2021) "How many genetic changes create new species?" (March 2021)
- Volz et al. (2021) Transmission of SARS-CoV-2 Lineage B.1.1.7 in England: Insights from linking epidemiological and genetic data. (February 2021)
- Otto (2021) Why new covid-19 variants are on the rise and spreading around the world. (February 2021)
- Parker et al. (2017) Genomic Analyses Reveal the Influence of Geographic Origin, Migration, and Hybridization on Modern Dog Breed Development. (January 2021)
- Khait et al. (2019) Sound perception in plants. (December 2020)
- Veits et al. (2019) Flowers respond to pollinator sound within minutes by increasing nectar sugar concentration. (December 2020)
- Moorad et al. (2019) Evolutionary Ecology of Senescence and a Reassessment of Williams' 'Extrinsic Mortality' Hypothesis. (November 2020)
- Day & Abrams (2020) Density Dependence, Senescence, and Williams' Hypothesis. (October 2020)
- Yanni et al. (2020) Topological constraints in early multicellularity favor reproductive division of labor. eLife (October 14th 2020).
- Todesco et al (2020) Massive haplotypes underlie ecotypic differentiation in sunflowers. Nature, 584: 602-607 (September 13 2020).
Flagel et al (2019) The Unreasonable Effectiveness of Convolutional Neural Networks in Population Genetic Inference. Molecular Biology and Evolution, 36.2:220-238 (May 13 2020).
- Origins and evolution of coronavirus - please scan this 2019 Nature Reviews Microbiology article on the evolution of pathogenic coronaviruses (published before the current outbreak of SARS-CoV-2) and read a recent paper or report to summarize for the group (sign-up sheet for additional material and suggestions so we don't all read the same thing).
- Where do we come from? A recent analysis of mtDNA places human origins in Botswana (Chan et al. 2019), but this paper has generated controversy (e.g., National Geographic piece) (December 4 2019).
- Detecting selection (or not) from polygenic scores (overview by Barton et al. 2019 and reanalysis of height data by Berg et al. 2019) (October 29 2019)
- On species ranges: a short theoretical overview (Connallon and Sgro 2018) and an empirical study in amphibians (Penner and Rodel 2019). [For those wanting more, see the original theory paper discussed by Connallon and Sgro (Polechova 2018).] (September 17 2019)
Sella and Barton (2019) Thinking about the evolution of complex traits in the era of genome-wide association studies. ARGHG 20:22.1-22.33 (August 1 2019)
Ragheb et al. (2018) Inhibiting the Evolution of Antibiotic Resistance. Molecular Cell 73:157-165 (May 15 2019)
Moreno-Mayar et al. (2018) Terminal Pleistocene Alaskan genome reveals first founding population of Native Americans. Nature 553:203-207 (April 2, 2019)
Grab et al. (2018) Agriculturally dominated landscapes reduce bee phylogenetic diversity and pollination services. Science 363.6424 (2019): 282-284. (February 20, 2019)
Kern et al. (2018) The neutral theory in light of natural selection. Molecular biology and evolution, 35:1366-1371.
Jensen et al. (2018) The importance of the neutral theory in 1968 and 50 years on: a response to Kern & Hahn 2018. Evolution. (January 2019)
- Laland et al. (2014) Does evolutionary theory need a rethink? Nature 514:161-164 (October 23, 2014)
- Ratcliff et al. (2012) Experimental evolution of multicellularity. PNAS 109:1595-1600 (September 18, 2014)
- Atkinson 2011. Phonemic Diversity Supports a Serial Founder Effect Model of Language Expansion from Africa. Science 332: 346-349 (January 2012)
- Wagner 2011. Genotype networks shed light on evolutionary constraints. Trends in Ecology & Evolution (October 2011)
- Burke at al. (2010) Genome-wide analysis of a long-term evolution experiment with Drosophila. Nature 467: 5587 (January 2011)
- Stearns et al. (2010) Measuring selection in contemporary human populations. Nat. Rev. Gen. 11: 611 (November 2010)
- Laland, Odling-Smee and Myles. (2010) How culture shaped the human genome: bringing genetics and the human sciences together. Nat. Rev. Gen. 11: 137 (October 2010)
- Gregory and Ellis. (2009) Conceptions of evolution among science graduate students. Bioscience 59: 792)
& Gregory (2008) Evolution as fact, theory, and Path. Evo Edu Outreach 1: 46 (March 2010)
- Hosokawa et al. (2010) Wolbachia as a bacteriocyte-associated nutritional mutualist. PNAS 107: 769
& Marchetti et al. (2010) Experimental Evolution of a Plant Pathogen into a Legume Symbiont. PLoS Biology 8: e1000280 (Feburary 2010)
- Helbing and Yu. (2009) The outbreak of cooperation among success-driven individuals under noisy conditions. PNAS 106: 3680 (November 2009)
- Williamson. (2009) Caterpillars evolved from onychophorans through hybridogenesis. PNAS early edition.
Gladyshev et al. (2008) Massive horizontal gene transfer in bdelloid rotifers. Science 320: 1210 (October 2009)
- Gogler et al. (2009) Menage a trois - two endemic species of deceptive orchids and one pollinator species. Evolution 63: 2222 (September 2009)
- Acquisti et al. (2009) Ecological nitrogen limitation shapes the DNA composition of plant genomes. Mol. Biol. Evol. 26: 953 (August 2009)
- Johnson et al (2009) Plant sex and the evolution of plant defences against herbivores (July 2009)
- Pryke and Griffith (2009) Postzygotic genetic incompatibility between sympatric color morphs. Evolution 63: 793 (May 2009)
- Stelkens and Seehausen (2009) Genetic distance between species predicts novel trait expression in their hybrids. Evolution 63: 884 (April 2009)
- Gavrilets et al. (2009) Adaptive radiation: Contrasting Theory with Data. Science 323: 723 (March 2009)
- Edelaar et al. (2008) Matching habitat choice causes directed gene flow: a neglected dimension in evolution and ecology. Evolution 62: 2462 (January 2009)
- Lemos et al. (2008) Dominance and the evolutionary accumulation of cis- and trans-effects on gene expression. PNAS 105: 14471-14476 (November 2008)
- Clune et al. (2008) Natural Selection Fails to Optimize Mutation Rates for Long-Term Adaptation on Rugged Fitness Landscapes. PLOS CB 4: e1000187 (October 2008)
- Lemos et al. (2008) Polymorphic Y Chromosomes Harbor Cryptic Variation with Manifold Functional Consequences. Science 319: 91 (September 2008)
- Hahn, M.W. (2008) Towards a Selection Theory of Molecular Evolution. Evolution 62:255-265 (May 2008)
- Draghi, J. and G.P. Wagner. (2008) Evolution of evolvability in a developmental model. Evolution. 62:301-315 (March 2008)
- Tao et al. (2007) A sex-ratio Meiotic Drive System in Drosophila simulans. I: An Autosomal Suppressor (January 2008)
- Pagel et al. (2007) Frequency of word-use predicts rates of lexical evolution throughout Indo-European history. Nature 449: 717-720 (December 2007)
- Hoekstra and Coyne. (2007) The locus of evolution: evo devo and the genetics of adaptation. Evolution 61-5: 995-1016 (October 2007)
- Swain et al. (2007) Evolutionary response to size-selective mortality in an exploited fish population. PRS-B doi:10.1098/rspb.2006.0275 (March 2007)
- Hansen et al. (2006) On adaptive accuracy and precision in natural populations. American Naturalist 168(2): 168-181 (February 2007)
- Milot et al. (2007) Surviving with low genetic diversity: the case of albatrosses. Proc. Roy. Soc. B. doi:10.1098/rspb.2006.0221 (January 2006)
- Mery, F. and Kawecki, T.J. (2004) The effect of learning on experimental evolution of resource preference in Drosophila melanogaster. Evolution. 58:757-767 (November 2006)
- Wilson et al. (2006) Environmental Coupling of Selection and Heritability Limits Evolution. PLoS B 4(7): 1270-1275 (October 2006)
- Crespi et al. (2006) Positive Selection of Genes for Schizophrenia. [Published as Adaptive evolution of genes underlying schizophrenia. Proc. Roy. Soc. B 274: 2801-2810.] (September 2006)
et al. (2006) Ab initio genotype-phenotype
association reveals intrinsic modularity in genetic networks. Molecular
Systems Biology (April 2006)
et al. (2006) Analysis of the human protein interactome and
comparison with yeast, worm and fly interaction datasets. Nature
Genetics. 38: 285-293 (March 2006)
DP and MA Aizen (2004) Asymmetric specialization: a pervasive
feature of plant-pollinator interactions. Ecology 85:1251-1257 (February 2006)
- Drummond et al. (2005) Why highly expressed proteins evolve slowly. PNAS. 102: 14338-14343 (January 2006)
- Kassen et al. (2004) Ecological constraints on
diversification in a model adaptive radiation. Nature 451: 984 (February 2006)
TR and CJ Foote (2005) Concurrent natural and sexual selection in wild
male sockeye salmon, Oncorhynchus nerka. Evolution.
59:1104-1118 (November 2005)
- Otto SP
(2004) Two steps forward, one step back: the pleiotropic effects of
favoured alleles. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. 271:705-714 (April 2005)
- Svensson EI and B Sinervo (2004) Spatial scale and temporal component of
selection in side-blotched lizards. Am Nat 163:726-734 (March 2005)
- Weaver et al. (2004) Epigenetic programming by maternal
behavior. 7: 847-854
& Sapolsky R (2004) Mothering style and methylation. Nature Neuroscience 7: 791 (February 2005)
- Kong et al. (2004) Recombination rate and reproductive success in humans.
Nature Genetics 36:1203 (January 2005)
- Rivera MC and JA Lake (2004) The ring of life provides evidence for a genome
fusion origin of eukaryotes. Nature 431: 152-155
& Woese CR (2000) Interpreting the universal phylogenetic tree. PNAS 97: 8392-8396 (December 2004)
et al. (2003) The ecology of individuals: incidence and implications
of individual specialization. Am. Nat. 161:1-28 (November 2004)
- Dujon et al. (2004)
Genome evolution in yeasts. Nature 430: 35-44 (September 2004)
- Rat Genome Sequencing Project Consortium (2004) Genome
sequence of the Brown Norway rat yields insights into mammalian
evolution. Nature 428:493-521 (June 2004)
- Fallon et al. (2003) Island and taxon effects in
parasitism revisited: Avian malaria in the Lesser Antilles. Evolution
57: 606-615 (May 2004)
Community Assembly Through Adaptive Radiation in Hawaiian Spiders.
Science 303: 356 (April 2004)
- Chuang JH and H Li (2004) Functional Bias and Spatial Organization
of Genes in Mutational Hot and Cold Regions in the Human Genome. PLoS
Biology 2: 0253 (March 2004)
- Bachtrog D (2003)
Adaptation shapes patterns of genome evolution on sexual and asexual
chromosomes in Drosophila. Nature Genet 34: 215 (February 2004)
- Lynch M and JS Conery (2003) The Origins of Genome Complexity.
Science 302: 1401 (January 2004)
- Milton et al. (2003)
Quantitative trait symmetry independent of Hsp90 buffering: distinct
modes of genetic canalization and developmental stability. Proc Natl
Acad Sci USA 100: 13396 (December 2003)
- Beldade P and PM Brakefield (2003) Concerted evolution and developmental
integration in modular butterfly wing patterns. Evolution and
Development 5: 169 (December 2003)
M and U Dieckmann (2003) Speciation along environmental gradients.
Nature 421: 259 (October 2003)