WALKTHROUGH & FIRE ALARM DEMONSTRATION
Biological Sciences North
Friday, July 19, 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
The Undergraduate Life Sciences Teaching Labs Renewal project is in its final stage of completion and a partial occupancy walkthrough is scheduled with permitting, fire department, and the Code Coordinating Consultant next week (Wednesday, July 24).
In preparation for the walkthrough, the project team will be conducting a preliminary walkthrough with the consultants to identify items that need to be addressed prior to the final inspection. The preliminary walkthrough is scheduled this Friday, July 19.
WHAT TO EXPECT DURING BOTH WALKTHROUGHS
1. Fire alarm testing throughout the facility on both days.
· Fire alarm bells will be ringing intermittently in ALL wings of the Biosciences building (North, South, West, East)
· The alarm bells will ring approximately 10-15 times over a period of up to 4-hours on both days.
· The actual number and specific times of ringing cannot be determined, as the system is required to demonstrate randomly in order to meet the code.
· The fire alarm system will be monitored continuously for fire watch during this fire alarm shutdown.
· In the event of an actual fire, personnel monitoring the system will be able to determine this quickly and the alarm bells will be ringing continuously.
2. Electrical shutdown: Bioscience North & East wings
· This shutdown is to test the performance of the backup generator in the event of a power outage.
· This shutdown will not impact Bioscience South and West wings.
· The generator will be running for a duration of time during the two days.
For questions and concerns, please contact:
Hilde Schepens, Project Manager (Kyle Reese is currently on vacation)
Sean McGregor, Facilities Manager