- Kenyon, H. L., M. Alcaide, D. P. L. Toews, D. E. Irwin In press. Cultural isolation is greater than genetic isolation across an avian hybrid zone. Journal of Evolutionary Biology , doi:10.1111/jeb.12989 [ Link ]
- Delmore, K. E., D. P. L. Toews, R. R. Germain, G. L. Owens, and D. E. Irwin 2016. The genetics of seasonal migration and plumage color. Current Biology 26: 2167–2173 [ Link ]
- Fernando, S. P., D. E. Irwin, and S. S. Seneviratne 2016. Phenotypic and genetic analysis support distinct species status of the Red-backed Woodpecker (Lesser Sri Lanka Flameback: Dinopium psarodes) of Sri Lanka. The Auk: Ornithological Advances 133: 497-511 [ Link ]
- Grossen, C., S. S. Seneviratne, D. Croll, and D. E. Irwin 2016. Strong reproductive isolation and narrow genomic tracts of differentiation among three woodpecker species in secondary contact. Molecular Ecology 25: 4247-4266 [ Link ]
- Irwin, D. E., D. B. Wake 2016. Ring species. Encyclopedia of Evolutionary Biology 3: 467-475
Office phone: 604-822-4357
Web page: Home page
Research area: Ecology, Evolution
Lab Members: K. Askelson, A. Geraldes, M. Ore, S. Wang
History: Postdoctoral Fellow, Center for Tropical Research, University of California, Los Angeles (2003-2004); NSF International Research Fellow, Lund University, Sweden (2001-2002); Ph.D., University of California, San Diego (2000); B.S., Stanford University (1992)
Our research is directed toward understanding how new species arise, how geographical variation within species is produced, and how behaviors evolve. We study carefully chosen model systems using an integrative approach, employing techniques such as genomics, computer-assisted analysis of vocalizations, observation and experimentation in the field, and computer simulation. Research systems have included passerine birds in Asia, Europe, and North America.
Peter Wall Institute for Advanced Studies Early Career Scholar Award
Just Desserts Award, UBC Alma Mater Society and UBC Graduate Student Association
New Opportunities Fund Award, Canadian Foundation for Innovation.