How to apply
There are four stages to admission to the Zoology Graduate Program at UBC:
- find the potential supervisor(s)
- review by the Zoology Graduate Committee
- acceptance by a supervisor
- final approval and offer of admission from the UBC Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies (G+PS)
The Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies sets the minimum requirements for admission to any graduate program at UBC. Given that a student meets these minimum requirements, then the biggest hurdle to acceptance is finding a supervisor.
How to find a supervisor
Check the Potential Supervisors list for supervisors in Zoology, then contact via email the faculty member(s) in whose work you are interested and discuss your prospects. It is not essential to be in contact with the faculty member(s) before applying, but it is often helpful.
- Complete an online application form and pay application fee (collected by Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies).
- During the online application process, identify three referees and provide their email address. Ideally, the referees should be faculty members who have supervised your studies and/or research directly. The referees will receive an email and upload link. If your referee is not able to submit the letter online, we will accept paper references mailed directly to the Zoology Graduate Program. In this case, the envelope should be sealed and endorsed by the referee.
- In addition, applicants must also submit the following documents (in .pdf format) to the online application system:
- curriculum vitae;
- letter of intent outlining your research experience, proposed research project (or ideas), and explaining your interest in working with the particular faculty member(s);
- scanned copies of up-to-date transcripts of marks from all post-secondary institutions attended. Note that if your application receives departmental approval, we will require official transcripts.
- Most international students must submit original TOEFL scores.
Applications are reviewed as soon as they are complete, and applicants are encouraged to apply early. The application deadline for September 2015 admission is 15 January 2015. To be considered for various awards, all application materials must be received by January 15th.
Students applying for CIHR or NSERC CGS-M scholarships must complete their application for Admission to Zoology by December 1, 2014. Applications received after December 1 will still be considered for admission but may not be evaluated in time for a CGS-M scholarship.
Late applications for admission will be considered if supported by a Zoology faculty member and funding is available.Information on financial support can be found here.
For further information contact the zoology graduate secretary:
Telephone: (604) 822-5807
Fax: (604) 822-2416
Zoology Graduate Program
Department of Zoology
University of British Columbia
Biological Sciences Building
6270 University Boulevard
V6T 1Z4 Canada