How to apply
There are four stages to admission to the Zoology Graduate Program at UBC:
- find a potential supervisor
- review by the Zoology Graduate Committee
- acceptance by a supervisor
- final approval and offer of admission from the UBC Faculty of Graduate Studies (FOGS)
The Faculty of Graduate Studies sets the minimum requirements for admission to any graduate program at UBC.
Given that a student meets these minimum requirements, then the biggest hurdle to acceptance is finding a supervisor.
How to find a supervisor
Check the Potential Supervisors list for supervisors in Zoology, then contact the faculty member(s) in whose work you are interested. If agreeable to both parties, set up an informal application by submitting the following:
- a strong and convincing letter of intent outlining your research experience, proposed research project (or ideas), and explaining why the faculty member is your number one choice.
- an up-to-date transcript of marks from all post-secondary institutions attended (this can be unofficial at this stage)
- letters of reference, ideally from faculty members who have supervised your studies and/or research directly (for informal application, reference letters must be mailed directly to the Zoology Graduate Program. Envelope should also be sealed and endorsed by the referee).
All of the above should be submitted to the Zoology Graduate Program well ahead of the formal application deadline.
If a faculty member agrees to take you on as a grad student, then you can proceed with a formal application as outlined below:
Formal Application Procedure
Complete an online application form. Arrange for two official transcripts from each post-secondary institution you have attended, or are presently attending, to be sent to the Department of Zoology. These transcripts must be submitted in original sealed envelopes in order to be considered official by the University of B.C.
Note: A supervisor has to be in place before an offer of admission can be processed.
Applications are reviewed as soon as they are complete, and applicants are encouraged to apply early. The formal application deadline for September 2014 admission is 15 January 2014. To be considered for various awards, all application materials must be received by January 15th.
Also visit Funding sources.
If an applicant has found a potential supervisor, late applications may be considered, but please check with the department first.
For further information contact the zoology graduate secretary:
Telephone: (604) 822-5807
Fax: (604) 822-2416
Zoology Graduate Program
Department of Zoology
University of British Columbia
Biological Sciences Building
6270 University Boulevard
V6T 1Z4 Canada