For further information on any of the below contact the Zoology Graduate Program or phone 604 822-5807.
The Department of Zoology has a minimum funding policy for all graduate students accepted into the program.
Support will be in the form of a combination of teaching assistantships (TA), awards/scholarships (excludes any tuition waiver), or research assistantships (GRA) paid from the supervisor’s research grants.
Effective September 1, 2014, the minimum level of support for M.Sc. and Ph.D. students is $22,000 per year.
- Support will be provided for 2 years for MSc students.
- Support will be provided for 4 years for PhD students. For those PhD students who started their graduate program from September 2011 onwards, there will be a possibility of an additional 5th year of funding providing that satisfactory progress in the program has been made.
- For students who transfer from a MSc to a PhD support will be 5 years in total.
- All financial support is contingent on satisfactory performance and subject to yearly review.
- To achieve the minimum level of support a student may be required to be a Teaching Assistant (TA).
Teaching Assistantships2013-14 salary rates for Graduate Teaching Assistants are as follows:
- Full-time GTA-1 (PhD student) is $11,801.44/winter term*
- Full-time GTA-2 (MSc student) is $11,356.00/winter term*
- *A full TA position involves 384 hours during the winter term (September to April)
PhD Tuition Waiver
(Graduate Support Initiative Program)
Graduate Support Initiative funds are currently used to cover tuition fees for students in their first four years of their PhD program. To be considered, tuition must not be funded from other sources.
Four Year Doctoral Fellowships
A small number of Four Year Doctoral Fellowships are available to outstanding PhD students, with preference given to incoming students. Fellows will receive a minimum stipend of $18,000 per year plus tuition, until the end of their fourth year of PhD studies. All doctoral students accepted into the program will be considered and priority will be given to those that apply by the January 15 deadline - there is no separate application process.
Zoology MSc Partial Tuition Waiver
Currently, all Zoology Master's students will receive a partial tuition waiver of $1,000 per year until the end of their second year of MSc studies. The award will be assigned in January of each year.
Zoology Graduate Fellowships Competition1-year fellowship of up to $16,000
- Deadline: 15 January 2014 (Wednesday)
NSERC/CIHR Master's/Affiliated Fellowships CompetitionNext competition: Fall 2013
The Faculty of Graduate Studies offers approximately 50 Affiliated Fellowships each year to meritorious students for full-time study and/or research leading to a graduate degree. Awards are made on the basis of academic excellence, and are open to current and prospective full-time UBC graduate students regardless of citizenship or visa status. Fellowship values range from $175 to $30,000, but most are in the range of $16,000.
Zoology Graduate Student Travel Award12 travel awards of $500 each are given out every year.
Next competition: Spring 2014
Further information and a complete listing of all graduate level awards can be found at:
For Prospective Students: Faculty of Graduate Studies Prospective Students Scholarships-Awards
For Current Students: Faculty of Graduate Studies Current Students Scholarships-Awards
BRITE FundingSome additional opportunities are available to students supervised by faculty members who are a part of the Biodiversity Research Centre.
NSERC Postdoctoral Fellowships
Applications are submitted directly to NSERC. Please visit NSERC Postdoctoral Fellowships for program information.
NSERC Undergraduate Summer Research AwardsDeadline: February 2014
Check the UBC Careers Services page for full details